Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Procrastination and Skittles

        Saturday morning. Time for a long run. Maybe after some coffee and breakfast. Maybe later in the morning. Maybe this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow.
      And this is how it usually goes for me. I LOVE my long runs but hate to actually get out the door and on the road. Why? I have no idea. It usually takes 1-2 hours after I declare to my family that I will be going for a run before I actually lace 'em up and go. Today was no different. Finally at about noon, I sent a friend of mine a text. He is running a half in Little Rock this March, so I knew there was some type of long run in his plan this weekend. He called just a few minutes later and we agreed to run 8 miles together. I was hoping the he would run 10 but I'll take what I can get.
       I decided to run 10 miles before meeting him. Leaving my house I started at a slow pace but picked it up as I went. Keeping in mind that I would be running 18 miles total I tried to keep it slower and ended up with a 7:45 pace as my house came back into view. The timing was perfect. There he was, ready to roll. One problem. It was now 3 pm and I hadn't ate since about 7:30 a.m. One small bowl of oatmeal and a piece of toast were not cutting it at this point. Running into my house, I grabbed a quick drink and a handful of Skittles. I had my doubts about this choice but I was in a hurry. Mouth full of candy and water bottle filled I was ready. We took off on a very hilly route and had a great run. 8 miles at a 9:20 pace.
      I ended up with my 18 and learned a new trick. A handfull of Skittles worked as good as any energy gels I have tried and tasted a whole lot better. The procrastination thing........I'll worry about that later.

No comments: