Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Together We Can Make A Difference

Cancer......it sucks. I guess this is something we all know but, for me, it has only been within the last 6 months that the realization of just how BAD IT SUCKS has set in. Of course I have always known that this disease is a monster but it was in a “scary movie” and not “real” sort of way. I now understand completely, just how real it is. Thankfully, BOTH of my parents are recovering, though at different paces, and the outlook is very promising but, like anything with this MONSTER, there are no guarantees. I should probably consider myself lucky and move on....but I won't. Not until we find a way to win- EVERYTIME, GUARANTEED.

I will (attempt to) run the 12 hours at Friday's Relay for Life event to honor those touched by this disease and hope to raise a few dollars for the cause. The question, for me, has been HOW to do this. The Honor Scroll? It crossed my mind, but let's save THAT for next time. A friend, and really the “brains” behind my nut-job ideas, came up with a great answer. We will write the names, that you send, on my shirt- they will be with me while I run. Also, we will put the names on a poster board and honor them on specific laps, miles or time of night. Numbers have significance- pick one that means something special and that will be devoted to the name you send.

I wish that was it but there is more......I have thrown the idea out on Facebook that I would do ANY stunt or gimmick for a fee. Smart, huh? It wasn't long before someone took me up on my offer. $100 bought my dignity- pretty cheap for this one- and I WILL wear a pink tutu for part of the run. If anybody has something else they would like to see- just make a donation and I will do it. (within reason- there will be children present) I promise there will be pics and hopefully some video.

Money does make a difference and I am not overlooking the importance of funding but as with the Honor Scroll, you do NOT have to donate (unless you request a stunt/gimmick- THAT does cost) just send me the names and time/lap/mile. They WILL be honored. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I believe that what this is all about is HONOR. Second, cancer is expensive and the battle often has a HUGE financial impact on families and this should not add to that burden. If you can't afford to make a donation now- that is fine, I REALLY do get it, but let us still honor those that have fought or are fighting the battle, regardless.

The running will start at 7 pm Friday night and I expect to feel a little nervous and scared at the start, wondering what the night has in store for me. As the miles tick off and the clock moves ahead there will be some long stretches where I feel like quitting- but with your support- I won't. When I feel like giving up the most, the sun will rise to start a new day and I will be finished. Unfortunately, those with cancer will have to repeat this same scenario over and over until we find a way to beat it. PLEASE help make the difference.

If you want to run or walk some laps with me in honor of someone, please come and let me know. It would mean a lot to me that WE could do that together- you do NOT have to wear the pink tutu. If you want to “pass the hat” at your workplace or go door to door for donations- that would be pretty awesome too. I know that I ask for a lot but how else you gonna make things happen? Again thanks for all your support- TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

No comments: