Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Thursday, September 9, 2010

How to Win - Guaranteed

You don't have to win the race to win. THAT makes sense..... Sure it does. All it takes to win is effort. Put out enough effort and you win every-time. Push yourself to do something you haven't done before- put the time in to make it happen and THEN go and DO IT. That is winning. Won't make you rich or famous but it will make you feel good about yourself and the accomplishment.

It is easy to sit back and worry about NOT winning. Or making a fool of yourself. Or just saying "I can't do that". Easy sucks. At some point in our lives we have to get past all that and just throw it out there and see what happens. Who really cares whether you come in first or last? Who really cares if others laugh at your attempt? Why would you settle for "I can't"? NOBODY cares if you come in first or last- for the most part, people are impressed that you did it in the first place. Those that laugh? You can pretty well bet the farm on the fact that they are too insecure and scared to even try. "I can't" is a cop-out and we all know it.

Yesterday, I scribbled out a poem and posted it. I know it's not very good- but THAT was the point. A few years ago, I never would have done that. Or this blog for that matter. But somewhere along the way, because of my running, I have lost a lot of those insecurities and quit worrying about how "cool" I was.....I'm not. Just a big old dork like everybody else- might as well quit being scared and start exploring and enjoying life. It has worked for me and I think it will work for anybody. Set aside the self-doubt, put forth some effort and MAKE IT HAPPEN. You don't have to BE the best to GIVE your best.

What's the point here? Well, there is this little event that I've dreamed up and I am hoping you will ALL participate. (all 5 of you that read this) It is the 'I BELIEVE....5k' event set up through the facebook group Get Up Off the Couch. (the finest and most inspiring group ever on fb) Here's the scoop;

Join us for the "virtual" I BELIEVE.... 5k Walk/Run. Do it on YOUR terms. Pick your day, pick your location and keep your own time. Run an organized event, a course of your own, by yourself or with a friend. This is a way that EVERYBODY can complete a 5k. I BELIEVE...... Just pick a day between October 16, 2010 and October 23, 2010 and hit the road, track, treadmill or your favorite mall. Post your results and include location and date. If you want you can include your finishing time but it is not necessary~ time does NOT matter. Even if you are not a "runner" you can complete this distance. Walk if you want or google a beginner plan and run ~ either way, YOU win. Entry fee is a smile and 1 act of kindness to a stranger. Just don't get any cheaper than that.

A few excuses have been addressed above, there are others but you get the idea. Throw the excuses out the window and try something new. Even if you have done a 5k before it can still be a new opportunity. Set a goal, beat your old time, run the entire thing or push a stroller...... lot's of ways to make it different. The journey leading up to any event is usually the most rewarding part, so take time to prepare and enjoy every minute of the experience. I guarantee you WILL WIN.

No comments: