Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Run Big. Dream Big. Celebrate Big.



For the past three years I have ran during the Relay for Life in Ozark County, MO. All night. Around and around an old asphalt track in the heat and humidity of a southern Missouri summer's night. This year I was leaning towards the idea of NOT running all night and just kicking back and watching the awesomeness that is the Relay. I really thought this was going to be the year that the pink tutu gimmick faded away since it has probably been played out. Questions and thoughts of "How many times will it work?" and  "Everybody has seen it." were on the forefront of my mind. To be honest,  it really doesn't shock anybody and I think more people recognize me in the stupid thing than out of it. But then.... I received a donation to my Relay page in the amount of $41 and it got my wheels turning.....

Why $41? Glad you asked....The Relay for Life Ozark County is on June 14th this year. Yes. Flag Day. A great National Holiday. It is also the day the new Superman movie debuts.Granted I'm no Superman but Flag Day is my favorite holiday  and I do some a lot of dumb stuff that leaves me feeling like I hit my head on a piece of Kryptonite so it all works out. Oh... did I mention that June 14th is also my birthday? Yep. I'll be.... wait for it...... turning 41. That makes the whole $41 donation make sense. Right? It does to me. Here's my new/old plan.

I always ask people to sponsor me per lap, any amount would be appreciated and welcome, but the pink tutu does have a set price. Yep. You guessed it. $41 for an hours worth of humiliation, chaffing in weird places and the opportunity to help fight back against the monster that is cancer. If you so desire, I'll happily demonstrate how to improperly "Prancercize" or whatever other creative and embarrassing ideas you throw out there. (I do reserve the right to say NO but that's unlikely if there's a donation involved)

I would love to set up a poster board at the Idiots Running Club (yes, it's a real club) campsite with names of those you choose to honor. A donation is not necessary to have a name added (but greatly appreciated) to the board. We will have pictures and video to let you share in the experience. I have also asked members of the IRC to send various running related items for a basket to be auctioned off. Thus far, I have received a few packages from all over the U.S. If you would like to donate items for the basket please send them to my address (listed below) before June 14th.

This year will be extra special for me because my 10 year old son has decided to set up his own camp. He has been recruiting friends to help sell drinks, set up games and sell whatever they can come up with. It makes me very proud that he has chosen to become an active participant in the Relay for Life. The children are our future and a huge reason that we must continue the fight. His theme is.... nope, not my birthday.... Superman. I find it appropriate that he has picked the greatest superhero of all time to join him in his quest to see a world without cancer. Hard to lose when you have the Man of Steel, with his never ending desire to defeat evil, on your side.  He has a Relay page HERE if you would like to donate to his cause. I will honor all $41 donations and requests made through him. We're in this fight together.

The plan is to run at least 41 miles but in the years past the number has been 50-55 miles. I'm not in ultra-distance shape this time but..... I have a hard head so I doubt that there will be a limit on mileage. Besides, who doesn't like to run as many miles as possible on a high school track? It would be silly to stop.

If you're interested in adding a name(s) to the board please email runlikeamug@gmail.com or send me a message on facebook.

For donations please click one of the links below or drop it in the mail.

David Murphy
212 Murphy Lane
Wasola, MO
65773

Relay for Life Webpage 




Or through PayPal



Thank you for your continuing support with this and all my other big/dumb stunts in our effort to rid the world of the beast that is cancer.  

 ~In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer– HOPE~






No comments: