Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Nation of Voices

August is coming. What does this mean for running? I don't know what, if any, significance it has for running in general but, hopefully, for us it will mean the beginning of something powerful and good. When I say “us”, I am referring to everybody that has a stake in THE FIGHT. You remember THE FIGHT, don't you? It has been over a month since I have mentioned it. Yes, THAT fight. Against the MONSTER that is cancer. Don't bail yet, I'm not asking for money. Well...... No, I'm not. I just had another idea that I would like to throw out there and see what happens. I hope it works.

Those with cancer fight the monster everyday, without choice but with a huge amount of heart, courage and hope. My two little running events lasted all of 19 hours combined....... not even one complete day. I think about this a lot, probably too much, and feel that there is more, so much more that we can do. That we MUST do. But what? I run just about everyday, which gives me a little time to ponder, dream and come up with “wild” ideas. Today was one of those “wild” idea days. Here it is....

The question. How can I help to honor those touched by cancer AND help keep the FIGHT out of the shadows? I can run. Everyday. Each mile in honor of someone that YOU know. We are all in this together and together is the only way WE will win. I would like to post a name for EVERY mile that I run in the month of August. Sounds simple, just run, honor and post. Only one snag in this plan. I'll need at least 200 names. Because I like to dream BIG, I hope to run 10,000,000 miles in their honor but 200 would be a great start.

The names will go on the blog and facebook each day to serve as a brief reminder of the battle that rages. It is my hope that this will help unite us in a common bond against a common enemy and bring others into the fight. By sharing this idea with you and if you will share it with your friends, we can honor ALL. The more the word spreads, the more people will begin to think about what THEY can do to help. Who knows, the word may reach the right people, you know, that rich uncle, neighbor or business owner that feels compelled to put some money into research or support their local Relay for Life. You just never know- sometimes big things are born from a small effort.

It may seem like an odd request but I am an odd dude- so it all works out. Please think about it and send a name or two, spread the word and stay involved. This MONSTER is not going to just slip away quietly, we must beat it into submission. If we come together as one, a Nation of Voices, with commitment, hope and courage, anything is possible. Fight On!

.

No comments: