Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Sunday, August 1, 2010

10 Miles With Some Friends

August 1, 2010. Today is the “official” start for the One Mile of Honor Event. More than 120 people have accepted the invitation to participate and walk or run in honor of someone they know that has been touched by cancer. I don't know why it always amazes me that there are so many people that will step up when asked, but I am. It is an awesome quality they have – the desire to help without the promise of personal recognition or reward. With people like this in the FIGHT, we are destined to one day win. This little event will not cure cancer or even raise funds for research, but it will help keep the WAR on the front page and in our thoughts, along with honoring all the super-heroes that have battled and continue to battle the monster. Thank you to everyone that has dedicated themselves to this cause and are participating in this small attempt to HONOR. Please remember that while the event only lasts a month, the FIGHT will rage on.

I jumped the gun a little and ran 13 miles, IN HONOR OF ALL, yesterday. This morning was 10 miles on some fantastic trails down by Norfork Lake in Arkansas. The trails were rough, with spiderwebs the entire way, the heat and humidity made things less than desirable and a few falls along the way helped keep it interesting. The one thing that made the run EASY was the knowledge that a short 10 mile loop, under any conditions, is NOTHING compared to the trials that those with cancer face every day.

Today I had the highest privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

1st mile Joe Kanzler
2nd mile Patsy Pierce
3rd mile Averille Pierce
4th mile Loy Ellis
5th mile Cloyd “Slim” Parsons
6th mile Louise Goodnight
7th mile Hannah Stutts
8th mile Linda Stutts
9th mile Colleen Wuderick
10th mile Peggy Cline

I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Thank you all.

No comments: