Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Miles 199 - 204 With Friends

Ahhh... Sunday. The perfect day for a long run. I had big plans for today.....had. After yesterday's water slide marathon it was obvious that sleeping in was going to be necessary. No long run today. A short 6 miles kept the streak alive, put me over 200 for the month and added a few more friends to the CLUB.

Something weird did happen on my run today. I realized that there was a time when 6 miles WAS my long run. Before that, it was a distance that I MIGHT one day run. Even further back, it was a distance that there was NO WAY I could run. Now WE call it short?? I guess that just proves my theory that ANYBODY can become a runner if they just stick to it.

Another revelation as I ran.... I am a SLOW learner. When I first started running, it was an absolute that I would never stop until the distance was covered. No matter what little aches and pains or how tired and thirsty, there would be NO stopping. This was mainly because I believed that if I did- it would be like a permission slip to do it every time and stopping might become the norm. Kind of a dumb way to think but I operated like this for the first couple of years. Now I know that it is okay to stop, walk, regroup or just take in a nice view. uhhhh..... I know this- most of the time. Today I ran for 6 miles with something poking the side of my foot every so often. I thought that maybe my shoe had a thin spot on the tread and I was just catching a rock once in a while. "I'll look at it later- gotta get this run in." What an idiot. Upon inspection when I got home- it was a thorn. A long thorn shoved through my shoe an into my foot. No wonder it hurt the EXACT same spot every-time. I am a GENIUS.

Maybe I don't really understand how facebook events track numbers. I know it was at 191 yesterday but today..... 190. I am sure there must be a technical explanation for this. Nobody would change their mind about the One Mile of Honor, would they? Nah.... technical glitch. WOOOOOO!!!!! x190

Today, for miles 199 - 204, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

199th mile Sharon Kirk
200th mile Peggy McDowell
201st mile Joyce Haynes
202nd mile Evelyn Akers
203rd mile Jerry Atkeison
204th mile Dorothy Robertson

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.

In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.





.

No comments: