Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Monday, August 30, 2010

Miles 205 - 210 With Friends

Nothing extraordinary about today's run. 6 miles on the trails during my lunch break. It looked promising because of a little off and on rain all morning but, as is my luck, the sun decided to shine while I ran, making it hot and humid. Of course the rain returned after lunch. I'm almost certain that it was a reminder from up above for me to FOCUS.

The heat and humidity made it uncomfortable but not unbearable - just enough to make it a little tougher and forced me to think about what it is WE are trying to do. All my yapping about "the streak" lately has taken away from the real mission here. The streak is so inconsequential when compared to the FIGHT and honoring those touched by cancer that it's not worthy of a mention. It is just silly little game that I can choose to extend or end at any time. Cancer, on the other hand, is not a game that gives a choice.

So, today was just a normal old run but also an eye opener that has humbled my overinflated ego. There are so many things more important than me and the dumb stunts I pull. With only one day left, I am back on track - with apologies for ever veering off. Once in a while, I just have to say it out loud....... I HATE CANCER!!!


Today, for miles 205 - 210, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

205th mile Larry Rouchka
206th mile Dennis Lusso
207th mile Majorie Lusso-Dutton
208th mile Buster Lusso
209th mile Billy Snider
210th mile Allen Perkins

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.

In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.





.

No comments: