Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Miles 45 - 56 With Friends

Here we go..... Saturday morning run. My favorite, up at the crack of dawn to squeeze in a few miles before the rest of the world wakes up. Knocking down a decent run before the sun gets too high and things heat up, running like an Olympian, looking like a SUPERSTAR.

Unfortunately, ALL of that happened before I woke up. The snooze button did not exist this morning, it was straight to the on/off switch. Once I finally rolled out of bed about 7:45 (which is very late for me) I did not WANT to go for a run. It was too hot, my body was sore, I had blown it by sleeping in and had about 1,000 other excuses. Finally about 10:30 I decided that maybe a short 3 miles would be okay. It was. The 9 miles after that were great too. The VOICES had woke up and weren't going to listen to my whining. That is what I'm talking about. Everybody has them- they will usually make us do the right thing, the things we would rather not and the things we think we can't. Listen to the VOICES........ they are wise.

Two more awesome peeps have joined the One Mile of Honor event bringing the total to 166. WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! x166...... That is all I have to say about that. Since last Sunday I have been allowed by YOU to honor 56 people touched by cancer. This has been a great privilege for me but I am about to reach the end of my list. If anybody has more they want to share, it would be MY honor to run for them. I DO understand that some may question my motives and may be leery to send that information. As I have stated before, this is an odd request but I have an odd way of thinking. I believe in the power of numbers and the more people that are involved in the FIGHT, the better the chances.

Today, for miles 45 - 56, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

45th mile Mary Roberts
46th mile Charlie Schlicht
47th mile Dick Wiggins
48th mile Lynda Burke
49th mile Connie Cornielson
50th mile Kathi Smith
51st mile Grandma Turner
52nd mile Steve Clark
53rd mile Edwin Murphy
54th mile Dee Combs
55th mile Myron Beltz
56th mile Brenda Bass

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.


.

No comments: