Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Friday, August 6, 2010

Miles 35 - 44 With Friends

Two more people have joined in the FIGHT. 164 now “attending” the One Mile of Honor event. Very cool. Originally, I thought if we could get 50 people involved that would be pushing it. Thanks to all that have got behind this effort and have helped spread the word. We have to keep at it, but I think 164 is pretty amazing.

It was a little frustrating to see how many have decided to “not attend”- because that number is so much higher (275). WAS. As usual when I run, things have cleared up in my head. I know that EVERYBODY cares on some level, nobody “likes” cancer. Because this is an odd request, to run or walk a mile, and it really does nothing substantial to solve the problem, it is easy to understand why they would decline. Add to that the FACT that just because I think it is a great idea........ well you see where this is going. Nothing to be frustrated about- besides, to decline means they had to, at the very least, think about the FIGHT for a few seconds and that is better than nothing.

Keeping the FIGHT on the “front-page” is a must- to relax means risking a missed opportunity and THAT would be cause for real frustration. 6 days in and WE are continuing to HONOR those we know, those we love and those we've never met. They are ALL in my heart.

Today, for miles 35 - 44, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

35th mile Kathleen Moore
36th mile JoAnn Stamper
37th mile Bill Hartley
38th mile Karen Trimble
39th mile Pam McCroskey
40th mile Debbie Rose
41st mile Barb Williams
42nd mile Barbara Crespino
43rd mile Toni Niedermayer
44th mile Art Niedermayer

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.

No comments: