Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Finding Time

I don't have time.... too many things to do today. This was my first thought this morning when I woke up. Amazing how I already had jumped from A to Z and forgot the other 24 letters in between. My wife left early to work on a float that she and a friend were constructing for the annual Hootin and Hollarin parade. So I was "the dude" in charge.... scary. I decided to FIND a way to get at least something in. After some coffee, a MUST for any morning, I cooked the boys breakfast and we headed downstairs. They were able to play (and check on dad) while I worked out in my weight room. I also managed to squeeze in a quick 3 miles on the dreadmill. Total time for all of this was about 2 hours.

I was left with a grand total of 30 minutes for all of us to be showered, dressed and ready to roll out the door. Not REAL easy with a 7 and 3 year old but we got it done and zipped to town to play our part on the float and pass out candy. The sun beat down on us and everybody, including me, was wore out when we got home this afternoon. With my wife staying after to clean up and take the float apart- I was in charge of dinner. When she came home, the boys were fed and ready for a late nap. I thought about napping myself but then the VOICES kicked in.

"Are you REALLY going to nap? You're wasting precious time...... INVISIBLE MILES!!" Invisible miles?? Those are my favorite. They are the miles that you "sneak in" and do not affect your family at all. They are invisible in the sense that nobody but you can see them. I love invisible miles. I had to drag myself out the door- but it was well worth it. 6 miles of gravel roads at a decent pace- invisible to everyone else AND a double-dip.... can't beat that.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this...... sometimes we have to quit looking for excuses to not get it done and FIND ways to make it happen. Right now I have to find my way back to town for some more of that Hootin and Hollarin fun.... good music, square dancing, great people and FUNNEL CAKES.

No comments: