Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mile 126 - 133 With Friends

Sometimes it helps to look around. Look around and see that things aren't THAT bad. I watched a family go through the extraordinary hardship of removing a loved one from life support last night. The process began in the afternoon and lasted until the early hours of the morning. As I sat camped out in the ICU waiting room and watched this family going through such a heart-wrenching ordeal it dawned on me that I am lucky. Sometimes it takes a "reality check" to wake me up and that is EXACTLY what I experienced.

This family showed great courage under horrible circumstances and they were, for the most part, very strong through their process and I wondered where they got the strength. It was only AFTER they left that I realized their strength came, partly, through numbers. I don't know how many people were involved but there were several and they all banded together in mutual support. Numbers. There is STRENGTH in numbers. I am impressed by their courage and the way they came together in this crisis. Strength in numbers..... I believe this is true even more today than yesterday.

The numbers......183 "attending" the One Mile of Honor event as of tonight. 183 of us that have banded together to HONOR those we love. How can this not be a good thing? Personally, I take great pride in being a small part of the FIGHT and I know there are at least 182 others that feel the same. As I ran a peaceful 8 miles on the trails tonight, I reflected on just how important this is. Thank you all.


Today, for miles 126 - 133, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

126th mile Sally A. Lacombe
127th mile Ulinor Pitt Jr
128th mile Geri Cormier
129th mile Kelly Jackson Mixon
130th mile Palmyre C. Pitt
131st mile Francis Wilson
132nd mile Karina Quebedeaux
133rd mile Angela Arnaud

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.



.

No comments: