Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Monday, August 16, 2010

Miles 103 - 105 With Friends

Some dates are easy to remember. Holidays, birthdays and anniversaries are the most obvious. For me, there is a date that I will never forget. January 16, 2006 – the day that I unknowingly turned the page and began a new chapter in my life. The idea was simple and easy. Just find some old shoes and lace 'em up, go for a run and lose some weight. Not because I thought I "really" needed to lose any weight but rather because I had an opportunity to win some money. Looking back, I realize now that I DID need to lose some lbs – at 5'11 and 227 lbs – I did NOT have “just a little extra” - I had a LOT extra. (and the pictures to prove it.) I had NO IDEA where this simple challenge would lead. Fortunately I discovered something more important and much more valuable than money- a better lifestyle. (I call it the Fountain of Youth)

So, on that January day, I logged my first mile. A terrible and painful attempt at running that left me humbled, breathing much too hard, sweating like a pig (in January) and completely drained. One mile?? Thankfully, it wasn't too long before things became easier and running became something to look forward to rather than a burden that I felt obligated to do.

Today, August 16, 2010 – I logged my mile number 7,100 since that cold January day in 2006. I have learned so much about myself in this relatively short period of time and have found that ANYTHING is possible if you really want it. As I embark on the next chapter in this journey, there are many goals left to accomplish and much work to be done. My goals have changed from the simple notion of weight loss to finding ways to push myself farther and harder than I ever dreamed. The support and motivation from my friends and family are huge factors in my success. Keep pushing me because I promise you this......there are some BIG things on the horizon and I will definitely need it.

Enough about that..... on to the important stuff. 178 peeps in the One Mile of Honor event......Woooo x2. After another loooong day in my life it was nice to see that number 178.... up by 2 from yesterday- and that tells me that there are others thinking about the FIGHT and HONORING our loved ones. Today, I needed that reassurance. Thank you for giving me the motivation to put in a few miles tonight.

Today, for miles 103 - 105, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

103rd mile Tom Stowell
104th mile Johnny Earl Coonts
105th mile Bailey Bennet

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.


.

No comments: