Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Miles 106 - 115 With Friends

The world is going end tomorrow. Oh, no!! What are we going to do? Uhhh..... this part of 'WE' is going to throw on some Nike Pegasus and hit the roads....no, that won't do much good. The trails, that is where I would head. I would run the trails and think about anything and everything, EXCEPT the impending doom that is coming tomorrow. Yep. Forget about the “REAL” problem for a while and focus on nothing. Just random, fleeting thoughts of NOTHING. Take in the scenery, dodge a few spiderwebs and clear my mind of ANY and ALL meaningful thoughts. After running, in a moment of unprovoked clarity, the solution would seem as simple as 2 + 2. The world would be saved and I could continue on in my crazy existence as a wannabe trail runner. You are all welcome.

So, that may be just a little extreme but it does have some truthfulness in it. There is SOMETHING unexplainable about running that, for me, seems to draw the focus of my thoughts away from the stress of “real” problems and fills my head with nothing. (yep- nothing in there) I don't even try to understand how this happens – it just does. Problems slip into the background for just a little while – they don't go away but, and here is the weird part, things become MUCH clearer afterward. Usually, not always, but usually a solution or new outlook on the situation smacks me in the face in the first few minutes after completing a run. Weird?? No. Freakin' weird?? YEP. I don't get it but I'll take it. I'm no philosopher but I do believe this..... Problems are solved when the mind becomes a blank slate. Go for a run and you will see.

One Mile of Honor....... 177 “attending” as of tonight. That is one down from yesterday.... guess somebody changed their mind..... weird. It is okay- we are all allowed to change our minds- but it IS weird. Really though, who am I to talk about weird. Let's just do this..... 177?? That is awesome and set me up for a SWEEET 10 miler today. Thanks- WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! x177

Today, for miles 106 - 115, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

106th mile Melvin Gerdes
107th mile Steve Clark
108th mile Wilma Richison
109th mile Reva Richison
110th mile Barbara Parrish
111th mile Laura Lynn
112th mile Christine Drummond
113th mile Josephine Bowlen
114th mile Brenda Andreesen
115th mile Your Request – L.S.

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.



.

No comments: