Pages

This is how it works-
I love to run but there are times when I would rather not. This is when the voices start. Chants, name calling, guilt and reverse psychology is how they get me up and out the door. I don't really mind the voices and have actually started looking forward to their daily calls. Together we have formed a running club that supports, encourages and competes with each other. I love these peeps. They are much more experienced, talented and tougher than I am. Pushing me out the door, through the hard miles and up the monster hills when I am feeling lazy or want to give up. Some people have "real" training partners, coaches and support crews. My team is ALWAYS with me and helps me to keep my eye on the prize and not veer off the track. Sounds crazy- Yeah, probably is.........

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Miles 173 - 178 With Friends

It started with a 4.5 mile run on July 19th. Only one day off after my first triathlon (sprint) and things didn't feel too great. Dead legs, tired.... you know the drill. I would have never guessed that would be the beginning. The beginning?? Oh, the beginning of what WE are calling "The Streak". After today's 6 mile trail run on my lunch hour, it has been 38 days since my last "rest" day. There have been a few 3 mile runs thrown in on the days when I have felt drained but most have been longer. The total distance over this period has been 281 miles and a daily "average" of 7.4 miles.

Some days have been slow and others fast, some on trails and others on pavement or gravel. Recovery after the faster or longer runs has not been an issue, in fact I feel stronger now then I ever have. Weird....It has become an experiment and a test for myself. An experiment because I want to know how long I can go before things break down and injury sets in. A test because I want to see if I have the brain/will power to stop before breakdown and injury sets in. Could be bad.......

If you are on dailymile you can check out "The Streak" in my training profile. If you are not on dailymile, well, you SHOULD be. It is an awesome online log for all types of workouts and has an interface much like facebook. Also, I am trying my hand at the whole Twitter thing....I am lost....but if you use Twitter- follow me @runlikeamug please.


Looks like the One Mile of Honor facebook event is holding steady at 187 of the AWESOME people. Still looking to hit 10,000.....5 days left....uhhh, oh yeah, it CAN still happen. (Nike can also throw me some free Pegasus....about the same chances)

Today, for miles 173 - 178, it was my privilege to run IN HONOR of some wonderful people.

173rd mile Mary Roberts
174th mile Charlie Schlicht
175th mile Denny Pepmiller
176th mile Audrey Pepmiller
177th mile June Freshour
178th mile Barbara Baker

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to have been granted this privilege. They have joined the VOICES club and tomorrow, WE will run again and add a few more. Fight on, friends.


In times of great despair and uncertainty, it helps to know you’re not alone and that there is an answer–hope.





.

No comments: